I closed up the case on my Baby-10 sequencer project. Here's a demo video and a list of what I learned.
Here's a demo of my Baby-10 sequencer project in action!
The unit isn't perfect. The biggest problem is that the clock input isn't working, and I don't know why at this time. However, perfect is the enemy of done, so I decided to close up the box and try using it for a while with my Werkstatt.
What did I learn?
- The whole circuit runs at about 10V, but due to loss, each step can produce a maximum of 8.75V. I should have run the clock and decade counter at 5V and used an opamp to convert the output to volt/octave levels. An opamp would have also buffered the output.
- The gate is always the same length, so you can't do staccato or legato notes. Next time, I'll add pot that can adjust the duty cycle of the gate.
- If I run a clock signal into the gate output jack (don't ask why I tried that), the decade counter runs, which is very weird. This could probably be fixed by a diode.
- I connected the front panel to the main board using Dupont connectors. They are hard hard hard to get right.
- The point-to-point wiring on the front panel is a mess and was hard to do. I mean, look at this:
I'm still pretty happy with the overall result, and look forward to trying it out in some musical projects.